Contact Lilleshall Residents Association CONTACT US  
 


Lilleshall Today

The village is dominated by Lilleshall Hill.  Although not particularly high, the relatively level expanse of the North Shropshire Plain lying to the north of the village provides extensive views from the bare top.  
The top of the Hill comprises bare rock rising some 190 feet (60 metres) or so above the surrounding fields.  The view from the top of Lilleshall Hill is one of the most extensive in Shropshire relative to the walking effort required, and is well worth a visit.

Indeed the bare top of the Hill is one of its most important features.  Although trees cover the lower slopes, the walker is fortunate that the bare top of the Hill provides unimpeded views to Grinshill, Hawkstone Ridge and further to the north the Welsh hills around Wrexham. 

To the west the Wrekin, Telford, Haughmond Hill (Shrewsbury) and the Welsh mountains, with the Berwens and the Oswestry range to the north west.

To the north east views extend towards Mow Cop and Stoke on Trent and to the south east Cannock Chase and beyond.   To the south can be seen Lilleshall Hall and beyond that the slightly higher ridge of Heath Hill obscures views of Wolverhampton some 18 miles distant.   To the south west can just be seen the Clee Hills and Stiperstones.

On top of the Hill there is a Monument some 60 feet tall erected in memory of George Granville Leveson Gower, the first Duke of Sutherland in 1839.   Lilleshall Hill, Lilleshall Hall, Lilleshall Abbey ruins and most of the tenanted farms and houses in the village of Lilleshall were sold by the Duke of Sutherland at an Auction Sale in 1917.

Lilleshall is a rural village with a population of 967 (December 2002) situated in the east of the county of Shropshire, just off the A518 Newport-Telford road. The western edge of the village is about half a mile from the boundary of Telford and the eastern edge about two miles from Newport.

  Today the village population mostly consists of commuters and the retired. The largest employment area is nearby Telford, but some travel to Shrewsbury, Stafford, Wolverhampton, Birmingham and beyond.
Lilleshall is unusual locally in that it is a “ribbon” type of development, not concentrated around a village centre, but rather extending up, over and along the side of Lilleshall Hill. 

Central to the village is the parish church dedicated to St Michael, the village hall, the youth centre, the cricket club and the village school.  The school is an important feature of the village; about half of the children come from the village and the other half travel the short distance from Muxton, the residential area of Telford nearest to the village. The numbers from Muxton help to keep the school up to full occupancy for single class intake.

There is an extensive number of active Clubs and Societies particularly when considering the relatively small population of the village.   For more details see the page relating to Clubs and Societies.

The rural nature of the village, it’s close proximity of the market town of Newport and the larger centre of Telford, easy access to the M54 to the south, a respected village school, the location within the primary catchment area for the girls High School and boys Grammar Schools in Newport all contribute to making Lilleshall a very popular residential area.  A relatively large portion of village residents have lived in the village for many years.

Lilleshall Church

There is a thriving Church of England church.  (For more details of the church building and the history of the church, please see the history section of this site).  For more details of the church and services see Services at St Michaels and All Angels

©2009 Lilleshall Residents Association